Wednesday 1 January 2014

Christmas pressies!

Now that Christmas is over, I can finally reveal the gifts I made! And yes, I made most of them. That's a first for me, because usually I would buy most presents and make only a handful. So, yeah!

Kindle cover: My sister and my mum both got a kindle after having finally gotten over there fear of not holding a proper book (3 years ago, when the kindle was hardly known in Germany, they just couldn't understand why I loved it so much)! So, I made a kindle cover for both. I used this amazing tutorial by Ashley from Mommy by Day and Crafter by Night.

left: for my sis and right: for my mum :)

The corners of the kindle are just covered.


I had only one problem: I was not sure at which position I should put the elastic so that it does not cover the screen. I looked up the dimensions of the kindle (mine is an old version, so a giant in comparison to the new ones) and made the cover the right size, but unluckily and very frustrating the elastic is too far out and only touches the edges of the kindle. Nonetheless, my mum and sister loved it. And as they both are not travelling much, the fit shouldn't be a big problem. As you might have guessed the one with the matrioskas is for my sis and the one with the roses for my mum :)

Table cloth: Then I made a quilted table cloth for my mum. I used the butterfly blocks I had left over from her birthday quilt. As I was in a hurry to finish the table cloth, I only free motion quilted it with stippling.



That't the quilt I gave my mum for her Birthday!
Knitting bags: For my sister I also made a little bag from the leftover matrioska fabric. I have made the same bag for myself to store my knitting in. I even added 2 small pockets for my sisters version. I sewed a similar bag for a friend, who told me she would like to start knitting as well. (I forgot to take a pic, buh). And to really encourage her, I gave her some pink wool, knitting needles and the wheat scarf pattern from tin can knits. I haven't heard back from her yet, but hopefully she liked it :)


Pockets inside



Cushions: My grandparents loved their cushions and couldn't believe that I made them myself :) You can have a look here, if you want to know more about the cushions. And these were actually the presents that took me longest!


Vest: For Lescha, I knitted a "self-drafted" vest! I just finished it in time for New Year, which is when Father Frost brings presents in Ukraine. I am still blocking the vest, so he has to wait until it is dry to wear it. As soon as this is done, I will take some photos and write a post about it. So, stay tuned!

Sewing box for me: I also got some sewing related presents, yeah. My little sis gave me a lovely sewing box, in which I can store my quilting threads and some bias tape. She got a wooden box, whose lid she covered with owl fabric (and there is plenty left, so I am playing with the thought to use it as a lining for a blazer I want to make) and then she painted it white and even added a little lock. So, much detail. Thanks so much, sis!!!


So cute!

The lock almost looks like a beak :)


Who is going to love ironing? The rest of my family contributed to my new ironing board and steam generator iron station! I only had a tiny Ikea ironing board, which is not very stable and starting to fall apart. As for my iron? I hated it, because after 10 years of use the water was constantly leaking out of it causing near misses like dropping from the ironing board into the floor socket. I also couldn't iron on my tailors hem as in a vertical position the water would immediately come out of the iron. So ironing was a real nightmare for me! My mum told me then about these steam generator iron stations and thus I decided to invest in one of these! I haven't gotten it yet, but will keep you posted about my experience :)

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and had as much fun as I had when giving (and getting!) my presents! I wish you all a Happy New Year 2014!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous presents Daniela, you did so well! I made a couple of presents this year, but want to try and make more of them next year! I love that you are getting an ironing board and iron for Christmas - only someone who sews would get excited about that! I treated myself to a new iron just before Christmas (I was trying to iron thick fabric to make cushions and our old one just wasn't cutting it) but annoyingly it's started to get scaled up already :( I also have massive ironing board envy every time I use my mum's ironing board - it's so big and so stable compared to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! SOOO many presents! When did you start? January last year? :) They are all lovely, I hope all that work was highly appreciated! Your little sewing box is soo cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely, thoughtful presents. Inspires me to make more handmade presents next Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely presents! Your family must have been really pleased with them. I especially like the knitting bags - I could do with a bag like that for my knitting (the bag it's in at the moment has an open top so it always falls out!) so I might have to try to make something similar for myself some time. I love your sewing box too - your sister did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! All the things that you made are amazing! I honestly can't pick a favourite, they're all great. It must have taken you ages to make them. I hope all they're owners love them. The sewing box from your sister is gorgeous! I'll be interested to see what you think of your new iron, because my beloved iron (is that a word to use for an iron?!) is 13 years old, and no longer at it's best.

    ReplyDelete

Related posts

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...